Creating a hair bun can be the simplest yet most elegant of styles for brides with long tresses. A hair bun is timeless and can be worn in so many different ways, ranging from the simplest twist to more elaborate updos.
A chic variation on the hair bun is a low side bun. This can be styled into either a neat, tight bun or loose messy bun. Either way, creating a side bun is extremely easy and requires very little work, unlike some of the more formal hairstyles.
Follow these simple steps to create a loose messy side bun.
You Will Need…
- Curling Tongs (Optional)
- Hair Band
- Hair Pins
- Hair Gloss
- Prepare your hair: The first step is to start by parting your hair to one side, combing the hair through. If you want to add some extra body, curl your hair about halfway down with medium size tongs. This will give your hair a thicker look.
- Tie the bun: Loosely gather your hair, pull across to the side opposite the parting, and secure into a low, loose ponytail. Tease your hair with a little backcombing; this will add body.
- Styling the bun: Place the ponytail into your hand and start to twist your hair into a loose coil. Secure and place with pins. If you want to add softness around the face, leave a few wispy pieces of hair to fall loosely near the temples.
- Finish: Spray a fine mist of hairspray to help hold the bun in place, finishing with a little spray of hair gloss to give extra shine.
- Hair accessories: If you would like to glam it up, why not add a vintage comb encrusted with rhinestones.
Guest post by Severin Hubert of The Hepburn Collection
Image from Nobu Yamaguchi